CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 18, 2011

Dancing to the beat of her own drum...

When I was little I had a multicolored skirt with layered ruffles that I loved. I can distinctly remember begging my mom to let me wear that skirt just about every day. I only remember her saying yes once (I'm sure I wore it more than once, but the ratio of No to Yes was definitely NOT in my favor). I have one picture of me in that skirt (that I probably should dig up to post on this blog). In the picture I am playing horseshoes with my Uncle Jim. I thought I looked so cute in the skirt and I could never understand why my mom wouldn't let me wear it everyday (please remember that I grew up in Michigan...for many months out of the year skirts were not an option, but I never let that deter me). Man I loved that skirt.

I also had a dark blue, thick Sesame Street belt that I insisted on wearing daily. Since there was no risk of freezing to death, my mom couldn't really argue with me. She would dress me up in my cute little girly matching outfit and over top of it I would insist on wearing the belt. I also have a picture of this and it took me awhile to figure out what I was wearing.

I tell you all this to say that I firmly believe in encouraging individuality in whatever form it appears. I love that Sophie wakes up every morning and adds something to her PJs, or that she often insists on sleeping in boots or shoes. Lately she has been putting her sunglasses on each night and then tries to watch her show in them. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with her pink 3D glasses she has for the TV, but either way it is really cute. She also recently found a lei that she got at a birthday party and she likes to wear it like a crown. I say...go for it sister, be the best Sophie Huskins you can be...keep marching to your own drum...it will serve you well.


No comments:

Post a Comment