CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Kentucky Family Reunion

We got to go to a family reunion with the Pegg family in Kentucky. It was a weekend full of good food, good wine, laughter, and lots of memories! We had so much fun visiting with my aunts, uncles, cousins, 1st cousins once removed (we finally figured out what this meant during the reunion...thanks Missy). We even saw some cousins that we have not seen in YEARS.

My favorite episode from the whole weekend was a conversation with my mother (sorry mom, but this is hilarious). We were sitting at a table eating and somehow the topic of Pap-Pap (my mother's father) and cooking came up. My Pap-Pap loved to cook. Whenever I think of him, I picture him in the kitchen cooking dinner with a gin and tonic or a martini (I can't remember which one he drank). I still miss him so much.

Anyway...I mentioned something about chicken and the following conversation ensued.

Mom: "Katie, your Pap-Pap did NOT like chicken!"
Katie: "He didn't?"
Mom: "NO...he was in the NAVY"
Katie: "Oh"

Now, mind you, I was totally confused, but I wasn't about to say anything. I'm the youngest child in the family and I have a history of natural blond hair. Sometimes things go over my head and I just let them stay there; figuring it's better to hide my ignorance than be teased relentlessly for saying something stupid. Finally my Aunt Polly (my mom's youngest sister) broke in...

Polly: "Ummm...what does being in the Navy have to do with chicken?"
Katie: "THANK YOU, I thought I was the only one who was confused"
Mom: "Well, on the ships the chicken gravy would have bones and skin and stuff in it and he just hated chicken after that."
Katie: "Was I supposed to know that?"

Now, not to throw my mom under the bus alone...my dad was sitting there nodding as well...as if EVERYONE knew why people in the Navy hated chicken. It was awesome. It still makes me laugh.

My second favorite moment was an old story about my sweet Aunt Polly. One day my Aunt Polly was talking to my Grandma in her room (I think she was around 9 or so).

Polly: Mom, when you were little, how many kids did you want to have"
Grandma: I always wanted 6 kids

My Aunt Polly was the youngest of 7 children.

There was not a mean bone in my Grandmother's body...she was simply stating the facts. When she was little she wanted 6 kids, I think she was trying to make the point that she always wanted a lot of kids, but nonetheless it upset Aunt Polly to be number 7.

We visited the Natural Bridge while we were there! It was beautiful...

Adam and Sophie enjoying the view

Wendy and Josie

Josie and Sophie

Sophie and Daddy

Sophie

The Huskins hiking around the area



This was a very long, narrow passage we went through to see under the bridge...
it made my claustrophobia act up a little bit but we all made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment